The Dos and Don'ts After Fire Hits
After fire ravages your home, fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of your property can be overwhelming. Once the flames have abated, it's hard to know what to do next.
Keep these Dos and Don'ts in mind if fire affects your home.
- Limit movement in the home. This helps prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets throughout your home.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place towels on carpet traffic areas. Use dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas to limit damage.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator. If electricity is off, empty your freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open to help prevent odors.
- Wipe soot from chrome. Clean soot from chrome kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then apply a light coating of petroleum jelly to protect surfaces.
- Wash houseplants. Wipe down both sides of leaves on your houseplants.
- Change HVAC filters. Change your filters, but leave the system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Cover HVAC intakes. Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of your HVAC system.
- Wash any walls or painted surfaces. First contact SERVPRO of North Everett/ Lake Stevens/ Monroe.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture. Before cleaning carpets by yourself, call us at 360-243-8313.
- Clean any electrical appliances. TV sets, computers and other electronics that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water need to be looked at by an authorized repair service.
- Consume food and beverages. Food and beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water, may be contaminated.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures. If the ceiling is wet, wiring may be wet or damaged and can cause electrical shock.
- Dry clean clothing. Improper cleaning may set smoke odors. Make sure you use a service that knows how to remove soot and smoke from clothing.
Fires are stressful, and you shouldn't have to clean up the mess yourself. SERVPRO of South Everett is here to help you restore your home. With our industry approved training, rapid response, professionalism, cutting-edge technology and open communication, we strive to restore not only your home, but your peace of mind.
Call the fire damage cleanup and restoration professionals at 425-367-4484. SERVPRO of South Everett has the technology and experience to make your fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
*Tips provided by SERVPRO® Industries, Inc.