8 Ways to Help Prevent Mold Growth in Your Kitchen
Cooking and eating both require a lot of food and moisture, which makes your kitchen a top-notch room for mold growth. Food spoils, water splashes, and crumbs can get everywhere. Implement the following 8 tips to prevent mold from growing in your kitchen.
- Keep surfaces dry: Mold loves moisture, so it’s important to keep kitchen surfaces dry. Immediately wipe up spills on the floor, countertops, or table. Rinse and wipe out the sink after doing dishes. Make sure your dishes and cutlery are dry before putting them into cabinets.
- Take out the trash: Leftover food, packaging, and other garbage makes your trash can a perfect place for mold to grow. Make sure to take out your kitchen garbage bin regularly to prevent mold growth.
- Use the exhaust fans: Humid environments are ideal for mold. When you cook on your stove, moisture can flood the air and condensate around the area. To cut down on humidity, use the exhaust fans when you use the stovetop.
- Clean the fridge: Old, spoiled food containers are one of the most common places to find mold in a kitchen. Clean out your fridge once a week to prevent food from spoiling and growing mold.
- Watch your fruit and potatoes: It doesn’t take long for fruit or potatoes to start growing mold, so it’s important to examine all fruit and potatoes on a daily basis, especially if you don’t keep them in the refrigerator.
- Clear the garbage disposal: Food can gather out of site within your garbage disposal. Even if your sink drains well, you should clean the disposal regularly. Remember to run it daily to clear out the debris. You should also pour vinegar down it weekly.
- Wash your cutting boards: Food particles and moisture can settle into your cutting boards, which gives mold everything it needs to grow. Use vinegar to wash your cutting boards at least once a week.
- Sweep and mop regularly: It’s easy for crumbs and other food particles to build up on your floor over just a few days. Sweep the floor every day, and mop it weekly.
If you find (or suspect you have) mold in your kitchen or any other room of your home, don’t hesitate to give SERVPRO® of South Everett a call.
Our technicians have the experience, knowledge, and training necessary to restore your home through our mold remediation process. We inspect your home to discover the full extent of the mold growth, work to contain the problem, and clean your home and belongings. Call us today at 425-367-4484 to start the mold remediation process.